Saturday, July 23, 2011

Today I Feel Like...

a step-monster more than a step-mother. I don't know if it's him or me today, but Meyson and I just cannot seem to see eye-to-eye. I started the day hopeful because our morning seemed to be going well, but then right before lunch is when things started to go downhill and fast!

I was getting ready to make something for lunch, when Meyson starts asking for another snack. I said "no" to the first request so he continued with a second, a little more persistent this time.

"Can I have a piece of cheese? Piece of cheese! Piece of cheese! Piece of cheese! Cheese!"

Keep in mind, that constant "pestering" is something that Meyson struggles with on a regular basis, so it's not a new concept for him to know that he shouldn't do it. I sternly told him "no" and when he started to go back to playing, I called him back to have yet another conversation about his repetitive requests.

"What are you supposed to do when someone doesn't answer you right away?"

"Not talk to them" (The answer I was looking for was more along the lines of "not keep asking" but that was close enough for me)

"What are you not supposed to do?"

"I don't know"

"I need a better answer. I know you're smart enough to give me a better answer"

"I don't know" (this time in a whiney voice)

From then on, the last part of the conversation kept repeating itself and each time getting more and more whiney. This is when I sent him to the corner for not giving me an answer and for doing something that he knows that he's not supposed to be doing. That sent him into hysterics. He started screaming, hitting and kicking the walls, and begging me to either take him to his mom's house or let him to go his room. I tried to ignore him because I know that's what I'm "supposed" to do, but I finally hit my breaking point and told him that he could go ahead and go to his room, but that I had a job for him. I gave him a tote and made him put all remaining toys in it. He's already had most of his toys taken away already for bad behavior so there weren't many left. 

This, of course, sent him into an even worse tantrum, but he did put the toys in the tote and when I took the toys from his room, I told him to sit on his bed facing the wall. He listened to my command, but not without a fight. The kicking, hitting and screaming started all over again and this time he added in bouncing on the bed. This time I did just ignore him and eventually he ended up wearing himself out and crashing and is still asleep right now. (Thank god!!!)

I am at a complete loss of what to do at this point. I've tried every type of reasonable punishment that I can think of and nothing seems to be working. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude with/about him, but there are some days that I am so tempted to let him get what he wants when he begs to go to his mom's. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day...

No comments:

Post a Comment